Studying Pharmacy Tech at Tulsa Tech
Do you live near Tulsa, Oklahoma, and would like to become a qualified pharmacy technician? Fortunately, there are several schools that you can choose from. To help narrow down the best option for you, we’re sharing details about Tulsa Tech’s pharmacy technician program.
Here’s what you can expect when training to be a pharmacy technician at Tulsa Tech.
As one of the pharmacy technician schools in Oklahoma, the course prepares its students to pass the certified pharmacy technician exam. The curriculum covers the different components of a pharmacy technician role, including:
- Mastering pharmaceutical compounding
- Filling retail pharmacy prescriptions
- Working with an inventory of medications
- Aiding the pharmacist
The course accepts both adult and high school students (seniors only) and takes approximately nine months to complete. Students can expect training that consists of:
- 265 hours of didactic instruction
- 130 hours of simulation
- 130 hours of experiential training
The program is held at both the flagship Tulsa Tech campus, which started in 1965 which is located on 40 acres of land, and on the Owasso Campus, a contemporary 256,000 square foot energy-efficient building.
When applying to study to be a pharmacy technician at Tulsa Tech, it is also helpful to know that you may have the opportunity to receive college credits upon completion of your studies. These can sometimes be put towards different technical certificates or an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree.
There are numerous benefits of studying to be a pharmacy technician at Tulsa Tech, including:
- Financial assistance is available, so you can get the support you need while enrolled.
- Students will become multi-qualified. Not only will they be trained to become a certified technician, but they will follow training in Basic Life Support (BLS) and AHA heartsaver K-12.
- Students will complete approximately 130 hours of work-based experience, gaining helpful real-life experience so that they can successfully enter the workplace.
Like many pharmacy technician schools in Tulsa, OK, Tulsa Tech has a few drawbacks.
- Before beginning, the course applicants must have a current American Heart Association CPR for the Healthcare Provider card, which is an extra hurdle.
- Another drawback is that the price for the certified pharmacy technician exam is not included in the tuition fees.
As one of the pharmacy technician schools in Tulsa, OK, Tulsa Tech offers a comprehensive program to prepare you for certification and employment. You can expect thorough training and credits towards an AAS degree if you choose to pursue one. Keep in mind that this program is rigorous and demands many hours of training, so be prepared to buckle down if you plan to attend this program.