Which is Best for Pharmacy Technician Training in Seattle? North Seattle or Renton Technical College?
If you want to become a fully trained pharmacy technician in Seattle, there are dozens of schools to choose from. But knowing which course is best for you can sometimes be a little overwhelming.
To help, here we compare two pharmacy technician schools in Seattle, WA, you’ll want to consider: Renton Technical College and North Seattle College.
While both pharmacy technician schools in Seattle, prepare their students for a lifelong career as a pharmacy technician in Washington, and both offer externships, there are different and unique features of the two programs.
The curriculum at Renton Technical College covers all the topics a pharmacy technician needs to know, including:
- Fundamentals and ethics
- Top 200 drugs
- Pharmacy law
The 5-quarters long course places particular emphasis on knowing about drugs and products. Because of this, students are taught how to:
Students are also taught the more practical side of processing orders and keeping records.
At North Seattle College, the pharmacy technician certificate program takes 9-months to complete. The curriculum includes:
- Over-the-counter drugs
- Pharmacy law
- Pharmacy records management
The course also includes computerized prescription processing, which is taught with state-of-the-art software used in pharmacies across Washington.
At North Seattle College, students are also taught aseptic inpatient training and pharmacology study.
- Scholarships and federal aid are available for the course.
- Students are prepared to qualify for the PTCB national certification exam.
- The course is accredited by ASHP and the WA Department of Health.
- Fast program completion in only 9-months.
- North graduates have a 99.6 percent exam pass rate.
- Over 400 hours of externships are offered at two different sites, double the amount required by The Board of Pharmacy.
- ASHP accredits the course.
- The lab has recently been renovated following a $50K investment, so the classroom and model pharmacy used for training are new.
- On-campus study is only scheduled two days a week during externships to give students maximum flexibility.
Both Renton Technical College and North Seattle College offer competitive programs and well-rounded training for pharmacy tech students. The differences lie in the curriculum and course timeline. While Renton Technical College’s education focuses more on learning about prescriptions and takes 2 ½ years to complete, North Seattle College’s program includes more intensive externships and in only nine months.